Wednesday, November 30, 2011

For the Love of Used Stuff

Between local designers, Australian chains, UK stores and the vintage shops- the shopping in Dunedin is pretty good.

Despite the fact that I'm on a ramen budget- I am still enjoying looking at everything. About once a week or so I wander into some of the shops try on some clothes, fawn over the accessories and toy with the shoes. If I return home with anything, it's usually a little something for art or craft- a ball of wool, paper, crayons etc.

Last week I caved. I took a little bit of cash with me and headed to the biggest "OP Shop" (Kiwi version of thrift shop- an "opportunity shop) in Dunedin.



I've been surviving off 5 pairs of pants, and I've been lusting over all the boyfriend jeans I've come across on Pinterest. After trying on over 20 pairs of jeans, I found a pair that should work if I taper them in from the knee down (which should be interesting to do by hand).



I came across this adorable bag- tucked in  behind some shoes. I was getting antsy for a cross body bag, much better suited for all the walking I've been doing.


I packed for New Zealand at the end of August. Most of my warm clothes were packed into storage (Scotty and I unpacked as little of our stuff as possible b/c we lived in the van last summer and anticipated NZ in the fall). I managed to pull a couple of my "winter clothes" tupperwares open, but I really didn't pack many warm clothes. 

I found a couple amazing second-hand wool Zara knit sweaters right after we arrived in September, and this time I found a long-sleeve merino wool top (they retail for at least $80 here- I got mine for $8) and the softest cardigan.


Aside from the sickly cheap prices and the thrill of the hunt- I love thrifting because it allows me to buy clothes that would be way out of my price range if I got them brand new. They just fit better, the fabric drapes nicer and they often have little details added that give them that extra "oh la-la". The black pants I found are all those things. I think they're one of the local designers' pieces and barely worn. Score.

Nearly 2 hrs and $35 later, I decided to try walking home a different way. My "short cut" took me only 50 mins from start to finish. The "long way" would have taken me 20. Pfffft.

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment