Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pocketful of Seeds

This weekend we had some great weather, so Scotty and I  went to work on the little bed of dirt behind our place and planted a vegetable garden. He broke up the soil and unloaded 3 fresh bags of top soil into our little patch. I neurotically mounded and planned the layout and planted the seeds. Never did I think I would be planting a vegetable garden at the end of October.

Barefeet are not only garden appropriate in NZ, but they're also mall appropriate, grocery store appropriate and fast food restaurant appropriate.

Obsessive lines. You know I'm using the crafty side of my brain when the tongue comes out. I get chapped lips when I sew and decorate.
 In 60 days we should be able to harvest the first of our carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes and corn. Once the boys head home for their summer holidays, there won't be any more cafeteria food until the next school year, which means we'll have to fix our own food. Having our own fresh veggies will help keep the costs down.

Gardening is to adults what mud pies are to children



GROW!GROW!GROW!

And then I was struck down with a killer migraine. I actually thought that my head was going to pop off from all the pressure at the back of my head. I slept the rest of my Saturday away, and when I finally could open my eyes I saw Sullivan (formerly called "hostel cat" to most or "Amelia Rose" by Maya until I renamed him) keeping the other side of the bed warm. Being sick is so much better with a pet. They seem to sympathize better than anyone and are thrilled to have an entire day in bed with you.

2 comments:

  1. Chels! I *love* that picture of Sullivan. What a great shot. And you're right about cats - I was in bed all summer and it was all made better by the cuddly kitten that followed me everywhere. Hope you feel better soon!
    ps. Halloween wasn't the same without you
    pps. gardening will heal your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty much just what ash said..... and I love your clean garden lines :) I just recently discovered (having the husky pup) the truth of how much animals sympathize and love on you - it's like they know....when you're sick, or just a bad day. wishing you love, health and a growing garden :)

    ReplyDelete