Sunday, April 22, 2012

I Set All My Regrets On Fire

I caught myself feeling it for the first time last weekend. It's been coming in waves ever since then.

Reminiscent.

Today marks 2 weeks until we come home. I am feeling so bittersweet over it. I miss everyone like mad, but I've loved so much about these past 9 months.

New Zealand is quickly slipping into a "memory"

I really can't even begin to explain the ocean of gratitude that both Scotty and I have for the Satakes and the incredible memories they gave us. It has been so beyond expectation.

To take this journey with my husband has opened my heart- I love him so much. So so so much.

The truth is this: I have always wanted to travel. I have always wanted to drop anchor somewhere far from home and just stay there for a while. This has been my dream. Last year, while this was all just an "idea" and had yet to take that giant leap of becoming an actual reality, I was talking to one of my regulars (a gentleman in his 60's) at the pub, and I told him about this idea to move to New Zealand for the better part of the year followed by a bunch of "but's." He listened. When I was finished talking, he leaned forward, looked me right in the eye and said, "The only thing you need to worry about is time- money, jobs etc. will always be there in one way or another- time comes in windows, you will never be as free and uncomplicated as you are right now.

Go."

I have heard that bit of advice applied to starting a family: There never is a right time, you just take that leap. But it's so much further reaching than that. If it's something you want, something you've dreamed of, it's probably going to require a leap. Blind faith. Figure it out as you go.

There's that common quote that some of life's greatest regrets lie in not taking risks. I believe it refers to the big ticket items: the things we dream of. This trip was one of my biggest dreams realized.

I am not saying this to brag. I am saying this to encourage you. My regulars' words had a huge impact on me and I believe they are worth sharing.

What do you dream of?

Can I be that little push? That push that gets you off that ledge?


I am a huge believer in making the best of what you have- being content, but sometimes that message can work against us, and instead, we settle. We fail to see what we actually have (and so we aren't really making the best of it) and just stagnate.

If it REALLY matters... find a way. Find the courage. Breathe deep and step off that ledge.

Here's a video recap of our past 9 months...




"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-Howard Thurman (source: thinkexist)




I'm a work in progress, but I am going to try to at least attempt some of my other dreams because failure really isn't the worst that can happen (repeating that over an over again in my head).

Blessings my dear friends. 

1 comment: