Monday, February 6, 2012

Let The Outside In

One of the most significant experiences of my life was walking into Gaudi's La Segrada Familia. My mouth dropped open, my breath got choked up in my throat, my heart pounded and I blinked away tears as my mother and I walked, shoulder to shoulder, bobbing our heads up and down to take in the grandeur of this palacial forest. I could write pages and pages about the significance of that moment, but even then, words cannot fully express that moment: when another's creation resonated with my soul.

One of the million things that flooded me was the undeniable connection to God. Standing in this cathedral- with giant tree-trunk pillars powering to the ceiling, afternoon light filtering through starbursts above and stained glass scattering rainbows- there was a whisper- a still, small voice calling out to me- speaking just to my heart, filling this huge space with presence.

SAGRADA FAMILIA NAVE ROOF DETAIL. SOURCE: WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Connecting with God the creator, recognizing him as an artist, is so powerful for me. Gaudi's personal interpretation of creation revered in this sanctuary connected me to nature. Despite the jackhammers and drills, I felt as if I was standing in an ancient forest. I felt peace, familiarity.

Gaudi believed that nature held the solution to architectural "problems"- he believed it to be the perfect blueprint.

Standing inside and feeling my soul fed- standing between four walls and under a roof, yet feeling surrounded by life... this revelation was was startling (especially for an aspiring designer).

After saying goodbye to our friends at the Campground, Scotty and I drove out to the Green Cathedral in Forrester. This open-air sanctuary is surrounded by tall palms, lush ferns and it lies right on the shoreline of Wallis Lake. Perhaps it is because I live in suberbia, or because I love the forest- I just can't get over the idea of being surrounded by nature in a place of worship and how we might actually treat the Earth (nature/environment) a whole lot differently if we saw it as a sacred place.



I love the idea that our songs would blend with the songs of the birds in the trees above us. That sun might warm our faces, and wind shake through the leaves- that we might connect not only in thought, but in all our being. Nature has immense power- to hold church in a forest is to worship God the creator, to be inside his masterpiece.

Let all creation sing... let the universe resound.


SCOTTY LOOKING TINY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OPEN-AIR CATHEDRAL

"THE GROVES WERE GOD'S FIRST TEMPLE"

They hold Sunday services there every week. It is quite the wedding destination, and it is no wonder- it is absolutely stunning (and you could save a bundle on decor).





PEACE POLE WITH SURROUNDING SEATING AREA FOR REFLECTION, MEDITATION AND PRAYER



After that we drove down a dirt road for what felt like forever

Insurance coverage on our rental didn't apply to the windscreen. I was paranoid that we would get a chip from a passing car. It was quite surprising how many dirt roads there were along our Aussie road trip- which is probably why insurance doesn't cover windscreen damage. Luckily, we never got a chip, but a couple rocks did bounce off the glass.

DUSTY DIRT ROAD

One thing that can be said of the dirt road: it makes the destination feel secluded. 


SEAL ROCKS


Before hitting the beach as Seal Rocks, we walked out to Sugar Loaf Point to see the lighthouse. The beaches in this area were especially beautiful.

WRECKAGE OF OVER 20 SHIPS LIES BELOW THE SURFACE

THE LIGHTHOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1875


There is a bed and breakfast right at the lighthouse- I couldn't dream of a more romantic spot to watch the winter storms surge below. 

SCOTTY WAS TOO BUSY RUNNING TO NOTICE THIS SIGN... NO WORD OF A LIE

PATHWAY OUT TO SUGARLOAF POINT




Scotty went for a snorkel and we basked on the beach. I kept sighing and saying "this is so beautiful!"


Back in the car, we set our GPS for Anna Bay. I fixed us some cheese and avocado sandwiches, and we dove into some fresh cherries. Cherries are a Christmas staple down here (being that they're in season). Filling up on summer fruit in December is a dream... thank you southern hemisphere.  




With the sun hanging low in the sky, we climbed up over the sand dunes and took a walk along the shore of Anna Bay. 





"IN A SEA OF PEOPLE
MY EYES
WILL ALWAYS
SEARCH FOR YOU"




No comments:

Post a Comment