Friday, June 1, 2012

Look How Much I've Gained

Life has been good to us. We're about to collect our second paychecks since being home. Right now we're living at Scotty's parents place. Life here is pretty cushy. Frankly, we're spoiled, but in an effort to not overstay our welcome, we're gone and looked at a few places in town. There's an apartment building right across the street from my work that I have my eye on. One of our friends lives there. Her lease is up and she's looking to hold on to her apartment (that's a great sign)- we looked at a one bedroom last night, perhaps we'll put our name in before the weekend.

There's a part of me that would love to try living in an apartment for a while. Perhaps it's the being raised on Friends, or the one very bad experience we had renting a basement suite from someone we didn't know (and know one we know is renting a suite at the moment), but we could be living in our own little space in two-weeks time.

I won't lie, I am already mentally decorating the apartment even though we haven't got it (nor actually agreed on pursuing renting it). In any case, my creative centers are itching to decorate.

We scored a few gorgeous antique pieces from Scotty's Grandma upon our return. A kitchen table that was his great aunt's, a high back dresser and a.... sigh.... vanity and stool.

Scotty is off at a softball game and have been flipping through inspiration pics to update my "new" furniture.

Possibilities for the dresser:

Love the numbered drawer idea, especially if the numbers were distressed.




     



                                                                       Source: cozycottagecute.com via Robbie on Pinterest

Loving the stain on this set. The current stain is a big orange for my taste. I like the idea of letting more of the natural wood show through.





                                                                      Source: tumblr.com via Chrisanne on Pinterest

 Before we moved into our van last summer (to save cash for New Zealand), we were storing what wasn't hanging in the closet in an old filing cabinet. I had intended to find some old scraps of wallpaper to cover the faces of the drawers (it never happened). I don't want to cover up the wood of my new antique dresser, but perhaps I might pick up another dresser at some thrift store and do some stencilling on it: 

                                                                 Source: brooklynlimestone.com via Elizabeth on Pinterest


                                                                Source: theblackworkshop.tumblr.com via Martina on Pinterest


It really just proves that you should look at a piece of used (thrift store, garage sale, flea market) furniture for the material and shape- the colour can be changed if it's solid wood.



                                                                           Source: ohdeedoh.com via Sarah on Pinterest


Ignore the green. Love the idea of a slightly different shade on a random drawer (or two).

                                                                          Source: freedom.com.au via natalie on Pinterest

 Great hardware. Great colour.

The vanity- what girl doesn't dream of a vanity?



It's all about the accessories: the extra vintage mirror (unexpected and perfect) and the collection of vintage makeup cases stacked up underneath- adore, adore, adore.


Source: img1.etsystatic.com via Gillian on Pinterest

Black and white (metallic white) stripes... to die. Nothing says glam better.



                                                                    Source: perfumedepitanga.blogspot.com via Aline on Pinterest


Gold and white. You just can't go wrong. And then there's the extra round pillow on top of the stool... so good.


For the kitchen table:



                                    Source: greigedesign.blogspot.com via Julia on Pinterest


I am obsessed with the grey distressed wood colour. Clearly we'll have to see what the natural colour of the wood is underneath that golden stain.





                                                                                 Source: betterafter.blogspot.com via Jenna on Pinterest

A darker, but probably more achievable colour.

And then there is the upholstery on the chairs.... oh me, oh my ...another post entirely.


As you can see, there's been a bit of a shift in my blog. I am no longer travelling, but I am signed up for a full course load in interior design at BCIT come fall (I am starting with a few courses this summer).

Swapping travel for design. I am sure there will be some posts on life, philosophy, photography etc. as well, but the only thing you need to know is that I will continue to post. I have been pleasantly surprised by how many people have been reading my blog. I like writing it, people like reading it, so it's a win win all around.

And who knows, we might find ourselves in South America in a few years time. That travel bug has bitten, and it's very much under the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment