Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sometimes You Have To Share Your Cheese

Two nights ago we heard a clatter out on the back steps.

It's either a cat of a ghost I thought to myself.

Scotty got up to inspect it. It took him a while of staring out the window at this little form until he figured out what it was.

"It's a hedgehog!"

I could barely contain my excitement. Wild hedgehog. On my back step. Eating the cat food I left out for the stray neighbourhood cats (we feed so many more than just Sullivan).

I got Scotty to quietly open the door so that I could throw more kibble at it.

He froze when he caught sight of my giant eyes and even bigger grin. His little spikes all standing on end.

We closed the door again and listened to him "crunch, crunch, crunch." I was too distracted to watch TV an kept going back to watch the little guy eat. After he left, Brian came by and told us that you can actually pick them up and they don't bite.

30 mins later, we heard the food dish getting pushed around. "He's back!" I squealed. Scotty grabbed the video camera and I grabbed the hedgehog (after awkwardly figuring out what to do with the cheese I was eating). Below is a little video of meeting our first wild hedgehog.



I put him back outside with lots of food and some cheese. He came back last night after I fell asleep (he leaves lots of crumbs behind), guess he forgave me for picking him up.




1 comment:

  1. As I read this post & watched the video and "aww!"d, I was listening to "More Milk" by Penguin Cafe Orchestra, which I feel suited the mood quite perfectly. Adorable Chels!! Nice to see you, too.
    a.

    ReplyDelete